Ali's Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

E-mails

In my e-mail yesterday, I receieved 2 pieces of mail that are examples of things we have been learning in class. The first e-mail was from amazon.com, where I ordered the required books from for this class. Well, they must have used cookies to get information about me because they sent me an e-mail suggesting other books that I might be interested in, and this was their list:



Blog Marketing by Jeremy Wright

I thought that was pretty funny since these books were required for class and not necessarily something that I would be interested in, but how would Amazon be able to know that just from cookies?

The second e-mail was a fishing e-mail. I was at work when my friend sitting next to me was like, "Oh no!! Someone got my Chase credit card account number and has been using my acount!" Of course I knew right away that it must have been from a hacker fishing, but she was so convinced that it was real because of the letterhead and the links that they provided. It was only until I opened my e-mail and saw that I received an identical message that she finally believed me that it couldn't be legit. This is what it looked like:

This is the reason why I find this class so interesting: the topics we learn about are real and applicable to our everyday lives. I hope those were good examples of using cookies and fishing, if not someone correct me!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

yes, although it is called PHishing :) nice examples, and some of the inadequancies of the technology you highlight. i.e. while amazon knows WHAT you purchased, and can match that data with others who have purchased similar to help determine what you may want to purchase ... they do not know WHY you made the purchase!

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home